Mission & Vision, Aims, ObjectiveMISSION:
To preserve tangible and intangible heritage of MaharashtraVISIONS:
To help in spreading a feeling of national pride in our documentary cultural heritage and ensuring its preservation for the posterity.AIMS:
- Providing safe custody for the non-current records lying scattered in different Departmental, Divisional, District and other public offices.
- Maintaining and preserving Government records and facilitating their utilization.
- Making available official records for academic research.
- Providing facilities for microfilming, scanning and photo-copying of records.
- Collecting, maintaining and conserving valuable manuscripts and documents in private custody.
- To carry out a survey of the records in Public Offices in Maharashtra and to prepare classified lists of records of historical interest, in each office, worthy of transfer to the State Archives.
- To advise different departments in regard to the preservation of records and to report, to the Government, cases where arrangements are unsatisfactory.
- To arrange for the transfer of records from the various offices to the State Archives, especially in cases where the records are in danger of perishing by neglect.
- To suggest the revision of weeding schedules for records in public offices.
- To publish lists and selections from records of historical interest for the benefit of research scholars.
- To maintain properly the records in the State Archives as well as in Departmental, Divisional and District Offices.
- Advise the Government with regard to the condition on which the public may be given access to records.
- To offer suggestions to the Government for advising non-official bodies like Universities and Learned Institutions in the State about the preservation of records of historical importance and other valuable manuscripts in their possession.